Thursday 29 April 2010

IKON

Susan Collis - Since I fell for you

Shuruq Harb - Book of signatures

Ron Terada - Who I think I am

On the visit to the Ikon gallery I viewed several exhibits..
Each one amazed me as at first glance I wasn't exactly impressed; after talking to the staff about the exhibits i found there was a deeper meaning behind each concept.

The first exhibit by Susan Collis I personally thought was ridicules until I was told to give each piece a closer look. What seemed to be paint splatter or markings where actually embroidery or gems; the detail and the elusion was really good.

The Second exhibit by Ron Terada emidiatly let me down as I thought there where just a series of canvas with text on. Then a member of staff explained that the text on the canvas was an extract from Goldsteins book who was Teradas inspiration and that he is a real person with problems.

The third exhibit was by Shuruq Harb I was informed by staff about the meaning behind this piece so I went in with an open mind but I personally would not call it art but more of a document piece. The reason for this is Harb collected signatures of people with the name mohammed to show the individuality of humans; but nothing was created by Harb just signatures where bound in a book and projected.

No comments:

Post a Comment